Sunday, June 24, 2012

Reading Ideas for Summer by The Moselys at BEAUTY FOR ASHES



Beauty for Ashes
click on image
Reading Ideas for Summer 
 by The Moseleys 



Okay, I know that I made the decision to not go back to teaching next year, but that won't stop me from sharing my ideas with you guys.


You can take the teacher out of the school, but you can't take the teacher out of the girl!




As a reading and writing teacher for middle grades, I have learned a LOT about what works and what doesn't work.


Some things you need to know when building a passion for reading in your child.


1. You HAVE to model it. I know it is so hard because life is busy. Think about this though, if your kids don't see you reading, why are they going to think it is important?


2. Let them read what interests them. Within reason. If your child is in second grade, they should probably not be reading middle school vampire books (just my opinion). On the other hand, let your kids have a chance to pick out books that THEY want to read. You can give them options, but don't be disappointed if they are just not into the books you read when you were their age.


3. Read with them. I can't even tell you the importance of this one. For one, it is such great time of bonding with you and your child. Two, it helps them build their own fluency, so when they are reading they will know how to pronounce words. Three, it shows them that reading is important to you.


4. Ask questions. Come back Next week for a list of questions to get you started. As well as, help on how to get your own family book club started.


5. Reward or no reward? This is a huge debate in education. Should kids be rewarded for reading? My philosophy...no. I know, I know, I don't have my own kids (yet). But I think that reading should be the reward. If you reward them, then they are reading for the purpose of gaining some prize, not from the enjoyment of reading.


Just my thoughts. Take them for what they are worth! 


Thanks to The Moseleys for this amazing post!
Come Back for Part II on June 26th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I really love comments so please leave me some interesting tidbits.